For my Zooniverse application i made 28 observations on the Planet Hunters project. For this project you classify stars, I learned how to scale the Y axis. I also learned how to classify a star as variable, or quiet. Then we had to decide weather the variability is regular, pulsating, or irregular. I also learned to determine weather or not the star has a transit feature. A "Transit" is a shorthand for a planet passing in front of its hot star (or transiting across it) Transits look different than other changes in star light because when a planet passes in front of a star, it dips down suddenly as it crosses the star in just a few hours. This helped me understand the Transit of Venus a little better. I really enjoyed classifying all of these stars, it is interesting to determine a stars variability. I also did a whale project on Zooniverse that I found very interestig, you have to match whale sounds together. Zooniverse is an amazing website to learn more about Astronomy.
Monday, June 25, 2012
Zooniverse
For my Zooniverse application i made 28 observations on the Planet Hunters project. For this project you classify stars, I learned how to scale the Y axis. I also learned how to classify a star as variable, or quiet. Then we had to decide weather the variability is regular, pulsating, or irregular. I also learned to determine weather or not the star has a transit feature. A "Transit" is a shorthand for a planet passing in front of its hot star (or transiting across it) Transits look different than other changes in star light because when a planet passes in front of a star, it dips down suddenly as it crosses the star in just a few hours. This helped me understand the Transit of Venus a little better. I really enjoyed classifying all of these stars, it is interesting to determine a stars variability. I also did a whale project on Zooniverse that I found very interestig, you have to match whale sounds together. Zooniverse is an amazing website to learn more about Astronomy.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment